Coty Perfume - An Old Favourite Still Available Today

Sunday, September 17, 2017


Vintage perfume bottles will always have a special place in my heart. Their characteristic clean lines and statesque bottles never fail to connote classic Hollywood glamour atop any dressing table or nightstand. While the most known example of their enduring quality is undoubtedly Chanel No. 5, I am always on the look out for the unconventional, and in this case more affordable, perfumes, eau de toilettes and colognes, that women of the past liked to use.

Above: Coty's L'Aimant "The Magnet" advertisement, 1939.
http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/beauty-and-hygiene-ads-1930s/47

One of the things that always surprises me is their shared heaviness of scent. I wonder if it was the result of a particular "fashion" for heavier, more musky, smells or whether it was a necessity, resulting from the popularity of smoking and the subsequent need for more distinct and stronger scents. Whatever the reasons may be, I personally am still not convinced about the smells and in all but one case (which I will reveal in the near future) would not wear these perfumes. At least not now, while I am still young and prefer lighter notes, if any perfume at all.

Nonetheless, I like knowing that, were there ever to be a need, I can still go out and buy the same perfume ladies in the 1940s would, just down the street at my local drugstore! Coty's L'Aimant was launched in 1927 and was part of a series of cosmetic products of the same name. It was one of the first scents released by the French-founded American company, which is now probably most known for their celebrity collaborations as well as ownership of brands such as Rimmel London or Chloe fragrances. However, in the past, it was recognised as a stand-alone name and could frequently be seen advertising their newest makeup line on the back-cover of women's magazines.

I found a more in-depth review by a writer who knows more about the specific notes and ingredients - if you are looking for a more exact description of the scent and  a comparison to different perfumes, here is the link.

Coty's L'Aimant c. 1960s
http://themuseinwoodenshoes.com/perfume-review-vintage-coty-laimant-parfum-de-toilette/

The same perfume currently on sale on Boots.com
http://www.boots.com/coty-laimant-parfum-de-toilette-spray-15ml-10003857

Below are some photos which I myself took while on a trip to Boots. As you can see, the perfume comes in a variety of sizes and the price is always under 15 GBP.


Post a Comment